Everything in the Gallery is handcrafted, one at a time, by me. Due to variations in how precisely my hands can work and in the magic that happens within each kiln firing, you should then expect that color and dimensions may also vary slightly from piece to piece. This is the fundamental nature of handmade pottery, and itís part of what makes owning these individual works of art so wonderful.
Order Processing and Payment Methods
Because of the small size of Purple Door Pottery, Iím still doing things the old-school way. Iím happy to accept orders submitted via the online Order Form on this site as well as phone and snail mail orders.
Please let me verify your pottery order before you send payment. Once I receive your order, Iíll contact you to confirm the details, determine whether the pieces are in stock, review the cost, and give you estimates for delivery and shipping. I can take your credit card information (VISA, MasterCard, or Discover) over the phone, or I accept money orders or cashier checks. If you prefer to send a check, Iíll start on your pottery order as soon as I receive your payment.
Orders for California residents will include the current sales tax of San Jose, CA.
If youíre curious or concerned about how I handle your personal information, please visit the Privacy section of the Policies page.
If you prefer to snail mail your order to me
If you go with this method, send me a printed Order Form that’s been filled in with your request— that’s easiest for you and preferred by me! However, you can also simply mail me the following information:
Mail your completed hard-copy Order Form to:
- Billing Address
- Shipping Address (if different)
- Phone Number
- Email Address
- Payment Preference: please indicate how you prefer to make your purchase (check/money order, VISA, MasterCard, or Discover)
- Requested Items and Inventory #, if listed in the item description
- Color Selections
- Price of each item
- Quantity of each item
Purple Door Pottery
PO Box 10495
San Jose, CA 95157
Once I receive your hard-copy Order Form, I’ll contact you to confirm it’s been received, review your request, provide delivery and shipping cost estimates, and work out payment details.
Because it’s just me behind the Purple Door, there may be unforseen events that delay production or delivery. I make every attempt to ship your purchase in a timely manner. If your item is in stock, it will most likely be on its way to you within 10 days. However, if not, I’ll be starting on the item you’ve ordered after I receive your payment, which means the delivery time will be extended. I’ll let you know that when I confirm your order by phone. Typically, if I’m out of stock for an item, please allow 6-8 weeks for me to make and deliver it to you.
Shipping Your Purchase
Why does it take so long to receive out-of-stock items?
Shipping is an additional charge. Please read the Shipping Information section on the Policies page for all the details on how I calculate costs, my packing process to avoid breakage, the carrier I use, as well as my no-risk return/exchange policy.
Making handmade pottery involves a number of steps, and there really arenít any shortcuts.
Hereís my process:
- Prepare the clay and create the piece by hand-building or throwing it on the wheel
- Allow it to dry to ďleather hardĒ stage so it can be handled without being distorted
- Trim and finish the piece as needed (add handles and/or knobs, carve or stamp with decorative designs, etc)
- Allow it dry completely so it doesn't crack or explode in the kiln firing (one week, or longer in wet weather)
- Bisque fire (initial firing to 1888 degrees) and allow to cool (2-3 days)
- Apply glaze(s) and let dry
- Glaze fire (second firing to 2300 degrees) and allow to cool (2-3 days)
- Sand the bottom, final QA, touch up if needed
- Final piece is now ready to package and ship to you
Custom Orders and Glaze Options
Please call or email me to let me know what custom piece or glaze option youíre interested in. I can let you know if your request is possible and if there would be any additional charge (it depends on how ďcustomĒ your request might be).
Please call or email me directly regarding wholesale inquiries.